25.3.11

FAT HO BURGERS: A Special Comment

As you may well know, I'm black, female, pushing 30, and a Dallas native living in Los Angeles. I am here to explain the Texas black colloquial term, "ho."  Believe it or not, the word "ho" is a catch-all noun. It can be a person, place, or thing; many times, people use it to refer to a place or thing. Par example:    

[we see two men in their mid-20s working on the engine of a car, tools littering the driveway that it's parked in]    

Young Man 1: Yo Brandon, hand me that ho right there.    

Brandon: (pointing at a monkey wrench) this ho?    

Young Man 1: Yeah, thanks.    

Example Deux:  [two teenage girls sit on a park bench, having an animated conversation]   

Girl 1: Girl, you missed it last night!!    

Girl 2: You know I got sick, I was so pissed! What happened?    

Girl 1: Giiirrrrlll, everybody must have heard about that party, 'cause by the time I showed up, that ho was sweaty as hell and 'bout to bust!!    

/scene    

When I started reading about this (click the pic for the news story), I was was so sure some ignant-ass dude had come up with this idea and thought he was being cute. I was shocked to see that the owner was female. Then I saw this:    

"Twenty-three year-old Lakita Evans told a local Fox affiliate, "It's not calling people a ho. It's just like they say, 'Oooh that ho is big,' or, 'That ho is tight!'" "

Everything is suddenly clear. The clouds have parted. She's using "ho" in it's colloquial noun form.     HORRIBLE IDEA, AND TASTELESS TO BOOT.

No comments:

Post a Comment